Subscribe with your email address

Subscribe with your email address:

Wednesday 16 April 2014

Free access to Irish Newspaper Archives - if you're quick !

According to Irish Genealogy News, there's free access to the Irish Newspaper Archives until 11am on Thursday 17th April.

A lot of people came from Ireland to work in Berwick-upon-Tweed and Northumberland, so if the Irish were in your ancestry (as they were in mine) or appear in your family stories, they might have been in the newspapers.

I've tried it out but haven't yet found anything relevant.
If you get stuck, there's a video tour when you login.

Login information needed:

User: freebie16
Password: freebie16

Thanks also to Canada's Anglo-Celtic Connections where I first saw it.

Post a comment below, if you find anything interesting, please.

2 comments:

  1. Peter,
    I'm glad you posted this.
    At first I found hundreds of results, then nothing but then I thought I would watch the videos. I'm glad I did.

    I searched again and found someone who might be great aunt Mary (an announcement of her death) but when I tried to view or save the image, it didn't work; perhaps there are too many enjoying free access.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,
    Thanks for your comment.
    I had problems too, so I contacted them.
    They replied that problems yesterday were the combination of the site indexing some new content during the Free Access offer which resulted in slow performance generally.

    They also said that when you click on article or open a search result in the article window, the disk icon allows you to Save to Pdf.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comment.